The sponsor of the PDN 2015 Photo Annual - Call for entries is Emerald Expositions, Inc., 85 Broad Street, New York, NY 10004.
The Contest ends February 3, 2015, at 11:59 pm PST (the Entry Deadline). An
Extended deadline of February 24, 2015 will be issued after February 3, 2015, at
11:59 pm PST with a $10 per entry late fee. All entries must be received by
the Extended Entry Deadline.
WHO MAY ENTER
Employees of Photo District News®
, and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries and agents, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of entry. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
HOW TO ENTER
Please submit images that are suitable for printing in PDN magazine. The preferred size is 11x17" @ 300 dpi with either Adobe 1998, sRGB or Untagged color profiles.
More Detail: The recommended image size should be close to 5,500 pixels on the longer dimension. We can accept images that were not captured at this resolution as long as they are between 3,300-8,000 pixels on the long dimension. For more information on electronic submission guidelines see our FAQ.
- You may enter any number of entries in any of the categories listed below.
Mailed Submission are accepted only for the PHOTO BOOKS category. For mailed submissions, register on the website first and pay your entry fee. Include your e-mail address (your pdnphotoannual.com registered user) and contact information with the package. For PHOTO BOOK submissions, you must upload the book cover and up to 5 interior images or layouts saved in JPEG format. Please fill out ALL the caption and credit criteria that apply to the book.
Submitted materials will not be returned. All entries must be post marked before the deadline!
Mailing address for Photo Book submissions:
PDN Photo Annual
c/o Jacqui Palumbo
85 Broad Street 11th floor
New York, NY 10004
- To qualify, photographs must be taken, published or produced between Feb 2014 and Feb 2015. Ongoing or in progress projects that contain older images are also allowed. Recently graduated students may submit work that was shot between that timeframe, as long as the images were produced before graduation.
- An entry consists of one photo, a photo series or video link, in addition to an entry fee and completed data fields.
- Each submitted photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that he or she has full power and authority to enter the photograph, and that the photograph does not infringe any copyright or violate any other intellectual property rights. The entrant agrees to indemnify PHOTO+ from any and all third party claims arising from the photograph.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud, provided that entrants must be prepared to provide a release form as described below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person's art.
- If the Photograph includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorizing use of the Photograph as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." If you are unable to provide a personal release, upon request by Sponsor and in the form provided by Sponsor, then your entry may be disqualified. You do not need to send the release with your entry. If you win, we will contact you if a model release is needed.
- The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsors, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. Photographs deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
- On-line entries must be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, internet domain owner, or other person or organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
Advertising is open to all commissioned advertising campaigns. Personal advertising concepts should be entered in the Personal category. Corporate Work includes projects such as annual reports, catalogs, calendars, promotional stills for motion pictures, marketing work and non-profit commissions for corporate brands. Advertisements with design layouts must be approved by the agency for contest submission.
Open to all commissioned magazine and editorial work. Personal work in the style of editorial photography should be entered in the Personal category. Please do not submit tear sheets.
Mail-in entry and digital upload required. Please see FAQ for mail-in information. Self-published books are welcome. Series entry only (for uploading a selection of layouts + cover)
Open to all published photojournalism and documentary projects, in addition to personal documentary projects.
New this year! Sports is now it’s own category and is open to all types of sports and action imagery.
New this year! Self-promo is now it’s own category and is open to online and print promotions, as well as photography website design. Please select single entries for screenshots of websites (judges will visit your URL). For multi-page print promos, please select series entry to upload multiple layouts—there is NO mail-in entry available.
Open to all personal photography projects.
All stock submissions must be currently licensed by stock agencies and approved by the agency for contest submission.
New this year! Multimedia added to the Video category. Videos, short films and multimedia presentations must be hosted on a third-party site, such as Vimeo; entries will include a URL to the work. Single entry only.
The student category is open to all types of still photography produced at an undergraduate or graduate level (must be 18 or older to enter). Recent graduates may submit work produced before graduation, permitting it was created between February 2014–Feburary 2015.
Prizes are specified on the About page of the PDN 2015 Photo Annual - Call for entries
- Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In Round One, a expert panel selected by Photo District News® (the "Judges") will each review the entries and select a group of entries in each Category to proceed to Round Two. In Round Two, the Judges will collectively select, from among the entries selected in Round One, the winners in each Category. Limit one prize per winner.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality and effectiveness in expressing the contest theme. Winners will be published in the May 2015 issue exhibiting the 2015photoannual Contest and also on the "2015photoannual" Web site.
- Decisions of the Sponsors and Judges are final and binding.
- Sponsors reserve the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Sponsors and Judges in their sole discretion.
- If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- By participating, ALL ENTRANTS grant the Sponsors and their designees, licensees or affiliates (the "Authorized Parties") a non-exclusive, worldwide license, through December 24, 2015, to reproduce,
distribute, display and post the entries online so that viewers may view all competing entries. In addition, each WINNER grants to the Authorized Parties a license for use of his/her winning entry
in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to, print or digital publication in PDN® magazine showcasing the winners;
and promotions related to the contest. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
THIRD PARTY RELEASES/LICENSES
Winners authorize Emerald Expositions Photo Group to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the photograph entry in connection with the promotion of the PDN
Photo Annual for up to two (2) years.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Emerald Expositions, Inc., and each of their respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
Sponsors assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Sponsors are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants' or any other persons' computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this Contest.
This Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply.
Entries void if the Sponsor determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if he/she wins that Sponsor may use each winner's name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except in Tennessee and where prohibited by law). All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Sponsors elect to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsors will not retain any rights in the submitted photographs and will return the entry fees.